When you hear laughing, you can’t help but laugh yourself.
It’s well known: laughter causes healthy bodily changes and healthy changes in your mind. Laughter can increase your energy level, lessen pain, strengthen the immune system, and protect you from stress.
Laughing is Strong Medicine
Laughter can be a strong solution to conflict, pain, and stress. There is nothing else that works more dependably or quicker to bring your body and mind into balance than laughing. The use of humor can lighten your problems, connect you to others, inspire your hope, and keep you focused, alert, and grounded.
How Is Laughing Good For Your Health?
Laughing can do many things for your health. Like…
- Laughter can increase your immune system. It can decrease the level of stress hormones within the body and increase the number of immune cells and antibodies you have, which will help you become more resistant to disease.
- Laughter is relaxing. A wonderful laugh can relieve you of stress and physical tension so that your muscles can be relaxed for up to 45 minutes following laughing! Except your abs. Laugh long enough and you have an awesome ab workout!
- Laughter releases endorphins. Endorphins are the body’s feel-good hormones.
- Laughter can help the heart. Laughter can increase blood vessels to nourish all parts of the body. It can increase your blood flow, which can help prevent heart attacks and other types of heart diseases.
The Overall Benefits of Laughing
Laughing is known to have many health benefits: physical, emotional, and social. Some of these are:
- Decreases your stress levels
- Increases your immunity
- Relaxes your muscles
- Protects your heart
- Lessens pain
- Lessens fear and anxiety
- Relieves stress
- Adds joy to your life
- Enhances your mood
- Improves your resilience
- Attracts other people to us
- Promotes the bonding among group members
- Improves teamwork
- Strengthens relationships
Laughter Can Help Your Emotional Health
Laughing just makes you feel good. This good feeling lasts even when you are done laughing.
Laughter is more than just a protection against pain and sadness. It gives you the strength and courage to find other sources of hope and meaning. Even when you find yourself in tough times, laughing or even a smile can take you far when it comes to feeling better.
Laughter and Mental Health
Laughter is associated with better mental health. Some things laughing can do to improve your mental health include:
- Laughing allows you to relax. A good laugh can lessen stress and increase your energy levels so that you can remain focused and get more things accomplished.
- Laughing can lessen distress. It is hard to feel sad, anxious, or angry when you are laughing. #truth
- Laughing shifts your perspective. It allows you to see things in a less threatening and more realistic light. Being humorous helps create distance between you and stressful events so that you don’t feel so overwhelmed.
Laughter Has Social Benefits
When you use humor with others, your relationships become stronger and you trigger positive emotions and an emotional connection with those you are laughing with. When you laugh with others, this is a more powerful thing than when you laugh alone. Friends don’t let friends laugh alone. (Ok that was corny).
How to Make More Chances to Laugh
There are things you can do to increase your chances of laughing. Try these:
- Go to a comedy club
- Watch something funny on tv
- Watch videos of funny animals on YouTube
- Be with people who are funny
- Share a funny story or joke with someone
- Read a funny book
- Have a game night with your friends
- Play with your kids
- Do something you think is silly
- Do something you think is fun!
Laughing can do a lot to help you feel better on all levels. Just laugh 😊